Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Starting to rethink...

In an attempt to get caught up on my readings for our lit review I've come across a few interesting things to think about. Firstly, in one article I read how students who use wikis are happy to add content but are reluctant to make changes. Without really knowing this, I explained to my test group that the wikis "belonged to them" so to speak. They each created a wiki and set up the admin password which I then gave to other classes. I stressed the point of ownership because I was hoping that "ownership" would be an intrinsic motivator. However, I'm now thinking that I've tainted the authenticity of the project. Wikis, unlike blogs, don't belong to any one individual; instead they are collaborative in nature. So haven't I taught the wrong message?
I haven't instructed the participating classes that "my" students are the owners so "they" shouldn't be tainted which means I'm still hopeful kids in Shanghai and Colorado go ahead and make whatever changes they want to the existing content. However, I wonder how my students will respond if and when they find their sweat and tears transformed into something else.
I may add this question to my post survey (i.e. did you accept changes made to your own work?). Also, I've just discovered that the Colorado kids are grade 4 students. I had originally hoped that the students would be closer to the age of the test group but perhaps this is a blessing. This way, it should provide a greater/more chances for my grade 7 students to "improve" the stories during the peer editing process, even if some of my students are EAL or below grade level.
Finally, one great idea I came across during my readings is actually suggested by Wikipedia. They suggest having students peer edit their articles for anything from spelling to content. This would have been easier to set up and easier to control (no reliance on other teachers) but could have provided me with similar data and come with a built in audience (of millions). Oh well, maybe next time. I may do this as a follow up to my primary research to see if the students do buy into making changes to Wikipedia and then see if their attitudes towards it as a main resource changes.

On a separate note: are our annotations on delicious enough or are we expected to write them up again for our final paper. Delicious doesn't allow us to write very much so I don't want to add/redo them all in the summer.

4 comments:

John Taylor said...

Hi Reece! First off, what is your email address? I'll send you a PBWiki invite so you can look at my wiki work.

Second: every teacher (especially English teachers) have trouble with kids doing an assignment and promptly forgetting about it. Peer reviews are as easy as open heart surgery, and I teach Honors 9 kids. So I don't think you should be so hard on yourself. I hope you explain/even read the Wikipedia suggestions to your kids. That'll help them understand the open-ended nature of the wiki.

And yes, that IS a blessing in disguise--the big gap in grade levels (I think) will encourage your 7th graders to take in new ideas and suggestions while at the same time they will work as editors on the 4th graders work.

I think the ideal situation would be to have the younger kids make changes/inject new ideas into the pages, then have your kids polish up any new additions.

Hey, just zip over to my blog and hit COMMENT and just type in your email. I meant to send you an invite OVER A WEEK AGO! And check out my blog post I just made. It's pretty important I think, and I'd love to see how YOU would/will tackle this problem.

Take care, Reece. Phil from A.R. is an awesome dude, and the goth freaks rocked last season. The psycho dad still annoys me to this day.

Paula L said...

hey reece,
that is a good question. I still need to go and get some annotations done! I am behind , yet again.

I discovered the same as you....the more I read , the more I thought about errors I made in my TIP...but that is learning in action, so keep on truckin.

you are absolutely right about the collaboration bit ! At what point, do we stop the collaboration as well. I had everyone workin on the same wiki, Maybe I should have had just groups set up there own wikis and then I create a link to each group. Funny how the more I use a wiki , the more ideas I have and change my philosophy on them.

I think you will be ok with the age difference. It will be interesting to see if the grade 7's take on more of a instructional role, which I presume will be the case.

I apologize for my tardiness in responding. I will keep in touch more frequently this week. I have learnt a hard lesson this week....no more procrastinating.

P

QuantumTeacher said...

I thought you might find this interesting as far as wiki contribution visualization and statistical analysis.

http://datamining.typepad.com/data_mining/wikipedia/index.html

The article 'Analyzing and Visualizing the Semantic Coverage of Wikipedia and Its Authors' makes some interesting conclusions on how contribution to articles is spread around wikipedia. Plus is puts a nice scale on the volumne of contribution per "power" author vs the number of articles in the data base.

Paula L said...

reece,

let me know if you received a few articles I emailed you from my school's e-library.

do you have any idea what the format of paper should look like? this would help me alot.

I will send an email to gaoming and see if she can help out too.