Sunday, June 29, 2008

PDA - getting started

I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of this assignment is but I'm concerned that its intended purpose is a type of portfolio that could, at least in theory, be used when recruiting or interviewing for a job. Although I used to believe that taking a digital portfolio to a job interview was a great idea, I've learned from experience that administrators don't have time to look at them. I've been recruiting four times in seven years and taken a digital portfolio to three of those fairs and I only know of one school that took the time to pop a CD into their laptops so they could have a look; the fairs are really about meeting face to face because our resumes have been screened long before.
I don't want to sound negative; if the purpose of the PDA is something else, then I just need to understand what the purpose but is; however, if it's for recruiting purposes...

1 comment:

Leigh Graves Wolf said...

Nope, not for recruiting purposes - which is one of the primary reasons we did not want to call it a "portfolio" - one of the requirements of the MAET program is that you demonstrate personal growth - the PDA is one way to capture and present that growth.